The staff at University Manors, Ltd. would like to thank you for choosing to live with our company. We welcome you and hope to have a long and pleasant relationship with you. We know the move-in process can be an exciting, yet very hectic time for everyone. Because of this we have compiled a very detailed list of information for you to read through, it is imperative you read through the following information thoroughly.
MOVE IN DATE, TIME, & PROCEDURE
All properties except 80 E. 14th – Thursday, August 16th
80 E. 14th – Friday, August 17th
10:30AM – 3:30PM
The day you are scheduled to move-in you will need to send ONE representative from your apartment/house to the office to pick up all the keys.
Parking is very limited and it will be quite hectic here, so the fewer people that come the less chaos we have in the parking lot. We recommend you park where you’ll be moving in and then walk to the office to get your keys.
WHAT TO BRING IN ORDER TO GET YOUR KEYS
1. PROOF OF RENTERS INSURANCE FOR EVERY TENANT – If you are missing anyone’s proof you will NOT get the keys. Please do not make us be the bad guys on move-in day by refusing you the keys. The insurance is part of your lease agreement and we provided you a form that stated this was a requirement that both you and your co-signer signed. DO NOT fax, e-mail or mail your insurance to the office ahead of time! You must have it IN HAND with you to get the keys. Any insurance forms sent to the office prior to your move-in will be recycled. Please take the time to highlight your name, rental address, and property owner listed as an additional insured on your proof of renters insurance. This will help the line to move quicker and the move-in process to go much smoother. For more information regarding renters insurance requirements please visit the Renters Insurance Page.
2. RENT – Rent needs to be paid online via your tenant portal before you come to pick up your keys. We will verify full payment upon arrival to pick up your keys. It is free to pay online via ACH (e-check), but there is a fee if you choose to pay by credit card. Please double check you entered your account number correctly – if your payment is rejected due to an invalid account number you may be assessed a late fee.
You cannot get your keys until your rent is paid in full.
*The charge for first month’s rent will not show on your portal until 15 days prior to your move in date, but you are welcome to pay it before the charge shows – just make sure you are paying the correct amount as stated on your lease agreement.
The FULL rent amount for your apartment/house will show as due when you log into your tenant portal. While we prefer the rent to be paid in one payment (all roommate’s pay 1 person and that person pays the total amount), you do have the option to pay just your portion. You will type in the amount you want to pay for your portion after you click the pay now button.
You will be paying a full month’s rent for August and the next payment will be due on September 1st. Why is this? The lease is written as one lump sum divided into twelve equal payments. The first two payments just happen to fall close together. If we prorated August, every other month would be more expensive.
For more information about paying rent please click here.
3. TYPED ROSTER – Please bring a TYPED piece of paper with your apartment address, names of each tenant, phone numbers and e-mail addresses so we can verify that all of the contact information we have on file for each tenant is accurate. It is best if you use this form we have already created for you: Roster. You can type directly into the document, then print it out, and have it ready for move-in day. *You need this, even if you’re moving into a 1 bedroom or studio apartment* The purpose of the roster is to verify that all the contact information we have is correct and up to date in our system.
PARKING ON MOVE IN DAY
**You WILL be towed at your expense for parking in someone else’s assigned space!**
Suspended Towing – We will have towing temporarily suspended in our lots ONLY when you come to move-in so you and your parents will not have to worry about being towed as long as you are in your assigned spot **You WILL be towed at your expense if you are in another tenant’s spot!** Make sure you are parked in one of our lots as we are not responsible if you are towed from other lots or ticketed for parking on permitted streets. You must read the street signs!
Apartments with assigned parking lots (most multi-unit buildings) – It is imperative you park in your spot ONLY. Even though towing is temporarily suspended for move-in, you can and will be towed if you are parked in someone else’s spot. Please, park in your space only from move-in day forward. Assigned parking lots will have letters and/or numbers that correspond to your apartment number/letter. For example, 1662 Summit Apt. C4 is in the spot labeled C4. 31 Chittenden Apt. # 6 is parking space # 6.
When to get your parking permit – Permits will NOT be issued on move-in day. Permits can be picked up on Friday, August 17th from 3pm – 4:30pm or Monday, August 20th from 10:30am – 4pm. Towing will resume at noon on Tuesday, August 21st. If you have not picked up your permit before then you will be responsible for all charges/fees associated with a tow.
What you need to get your permit – You will need to show your registration and know your license plate number, make, model, and year of your vehicle. Our parking permits are FREE. Please note there is a limit, depending on your location, on how many permits will be given out. There will be more information on this provided to you in your move-in packet that you get when you pick up your keys.
Guaranteed Paid Parking – We do sell additional parking spaces at 31 Chittenden and 212 W. Norwich if you would like a guaranteed spot. Contact Kelly at Kelly@universitymanors.com for pricing and availability on those spots.
MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS TO BRING/MAINTENANCE INFO
- Wireless Router – If you will be living at one of the building where we provide the internet (42 E. 13th, 49 E. 14th, 80 E. 14th, 98 E. 12th, 115 E. 13th, 120 E. 13th, 31 Chittenden, 173 W. 9th, 2135 Iuka), you will need to bring your own router if you want the internet to be wireless. This way the internet will be on your own private password and not on a shared network.
- Carbon monoxide detectors – We highly recommend you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- Window coverings – We do not provide blinds or window treatments at any of our properties with the exception of the studio buildings. *Please note: if the previous tenant leaves their window treatments, we will leave them for the next tenant, but they are not guaranteed nor are we responsible for the condition of what was left.
- Hammer/Screw Driver/Basic Tool Set – Handy to have at move-in and throughout the entire year
- Light bulbs – We do our best to make sure that light bulbs are working in all of the fixtures, but with all units turning at the same time, sometimes they can get missed. It is always helpful for you to have some on hand in case a bulb needs replaced. For all recessed lighting fixtures please use a CFL flood style bulb 13 watts. If a bulb needs replaced in a hard to reach area (vaulted ceilings) or is a specialty bulb (long-tube fluorescent kitchen) please submit a request to maintenance via your tenant portal and we will replace it for you.
- 9-volt batteries – All smoke detectors require a 9-volt battery either to operate or as a back up if it’s hard wired. It is required by our lease as well as Columbus city code that all smoke detectors are maintained in working order at all times. If you are having any problems with the smoke detectors please submit a maintenance request via your tenant portal. You can also stop into the office and we’ll give you a replacement battery for free as well.
- Plunger– We provide you with a commercial grade plunger with your move-in welcome bag. If your toilet becomes clogged please try plunging it first before submitting a maintenance request. Maintenance service calls just to plunge a toilet are $45
- Gas appliances- Some apartments are equipped with gas stoves, and most of the apartments/house have a gas furnace and hot water tank. Upon move-in if you notice a gas odor please check your pilots lights. Occasionally due to cleaning the pilots lights especially on the stoves can go out. You should familiarize yourself with how these pilot lights work. If you feel uncomfortable lighting your pilots lights please submit a maintenance request via your tenant portal.
When to have them turned on – Please schedule your utilities to be turned on a few days before your scheduled move-in day in case your apartment is available early. (We will contact you if that happens.)
Utilities included – Some of our apartments/houses have utilities included in the rent. If you rented one of those units, then you do not need to schedule for those specified utilities to be turned on.
Electric – *There are TWO electric companies in Columbus, one is through the City of Columbus and one is AEP*. Call AEP first, as they service the majority of properties around campus. If they tell you they do not have your address then you will need to call the City of Columbus Division of Electric. If electric is included in your rent, you can disregard this.
- AEP (Electric) – 1-800-277-2177
- City of Columbus (Electric) – 614-645-7360
- Attention Residents of 243 and 243 1/3 E. 19th – There is only 1 electric meter for the whole house. A resident from 243 E. 19th should put the electric in their name and then collect the proper portion from the tenant in 243 1/2 each month. The resident in 243 1/2 should make their check payable directly to the electric company and send the two checks in together. This is true for Columbia Gas also.
Gas – The gas provided for all properties is Columbia Gas. Their phone number is 1-800-344-4077. If gas is included in your rent, you can disregard this.
Water – Water bills will automatically be sent to you via e-mail from us. If water is included in your rent, you will not receive a bill from us. You do not need to do anything to set up water.
Cable & Internet – You are not required to get cable or internet, but if you would like to, Time Warner Cable/Spectrum is the service provider of choice in the campus area. Time Warner/Spectrum’s phone number is 614-481-5050. However, you can use whichever service provider you prefer. The company will know whether or not they can service your address when you call. The property manager does not allow any satellite dishes. We provide internet service at 31 Chittenden, 173 W. 9th, 98 E. 12th, 42 E. 13th, 115 E. 13th, 120 E. 13th, 49 E. 14th, 80 E. 14th, and 2135 Iuka Ave. If you will be living at any of the aforementioned buildings and would like cable, you’ll need to call WOW! at 614-4-WOW-NOW and schedule that to be set up. If you will be living at any of the buildings where we provide internet you need to bring your own router if you want it to be wireless. We only provide the modem for internet service. Your own modem allows for your wi-fi password to be private rather than a shared password among the entire building.
PREFERRED VENDOR LIST
- Furniture rental-Cort Furniture, email Molli@universitymanors.com for the special pricing flyer for our tenants
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What happens if I cannot pick up my keys on my scheduled move-in day? If you are planning to move-in at a later time you will need to notify Ashley (Ashley@universitymanors.com) and let her know when you will be coming. Remember, we are not open on Saturdays or Sundays. This ONLY matters if you do not have any other roommates. As long as someone from your house/apartment will be coming to pick up keys, pay rent and give the insurance on the scheduled move-in day you do not need to notify us if you are not arriving that day
2. What is required to meet the Renter’s Insurance requirement of my lease? You will need to bring a copy of your Renter’s Insurance policy (it must have your name and the rental address listed on it) in hand with you the day you move in. Please, do not send it to us ahead of time. You must have a minimum of $100,000 in liability coverage. Your specific property owner will need to be listed as an additional insured or additional interest. University Manors is both an owner and a management company. The owner of the property is who needs to be listed as the additional insured (this is also who you write your rent checks to each month). Company owners are: University Manors, UML 1, M.G.M, Falcon, Campus Homes, Capital City Properties, or Brian R. Grim Properties. The property owner for your house/apartment is listed in the second sentence of your lease agreement, but can also be found on the Landlord Chart By Address. Please refer to the Renters Insurance page for specific requirements: http://universitymanors.com/future-residents/renters-insurance/
4. Will my apartment be painted/cleaned/carpets cleaned before I move in? Painting is done on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes the entire apartment will need painted, sometimes just a few walls, or none at all. We do hire professional cleaners to come in and clean your apartment. If you feel as though it has not been cleaned properly PLEASE CALL US immediately. We want you to be happy with the condition of your apartment. We have paid them to do the job right and there is no reason you, as our new tenants, should have to clean anything. All carpets are automatically cleaned before you arrive.3. My insurance agent needs specific information on the apartment I will be living in, where can they find that information? You will need to instruct your insurance agent to visit: http://www.franklincountyauditor.com/ Here they will be able to look up the number of units in your building, what year it was built, the type of building it is etc. Please do NOT call us at the office for this information as we do not have it. Your agent works for you, so please instruct them on where to get the information if they do not already know. Please get this taken care of well before your move-in day to avoid delays!
5. Does our apartment come with blinds or curtains? We do not provide window treatments (unless you live in one of our 8 studio buildings). If there are blinds or curtains there when you move in it is because they were left by the previous residents. We are not responsible for the condition or maintenance of any window treatments left by previous tenants.
6. When should I schedule to have my utilities turned on, and which utilities do I need to set up? Please schedule your utilities to be turned on a few days before your scheduled move-in day in case your apartment is available early. Water bills will automatically be sent to you via email, you do not need to do anything to set up water unless you live at 240 or 247 E. 19th Avenue. At those two locations, you must put the water bill in your name. Depending on if you have any utilities included or not you will need to set up your electric, gas, cable, and internet. (Internet service is provided at: 31 Chittenden, 173 W. 9th, 98 E. 12th, 42,115,120 E. 13th, 49,80 E. 14th and 2135 Iuka). *Time Warner is the service provider of choice in the campus area.* The Property Manager does not allow any satellite dishes to be placed on our roofs. *There are TWO electric companies in Columbus, one is through the City of Columbus and one is AEP*. Call AEP first, as they service the majority of properties around campus. If they tell you they do not have your address then you will need to call the City of Columbus Division of Electric. A list of the utility contact numbers are at the top of our FAQ page.
7. I need to get into my apartment as soon as possible, is there any way I can move in early? No. We maintain a strict policy on this for both your benefit, and ours. IF your apartment is ready early, then we will automatically contact you. If you do not hear from us, it is NOT going to be ready early. Many of us in the office went to The Ohio State University and we sincerely understand the headaches involved in being homeless in-between leases. We promise we will do our best to get everyone in as soon as possible.
8. How can I get a University Manors parking permit (if applicable)? We will have towing temporarily suspended in our lots ONLY when you come to move-in so you and your parents will not have to worry about being towed. Make sure you are parked in one of our lots as we are not responsible if you are towed from other lots or ticketed for parking on permitted streets. You must read the street signs! Permits will NOT be issued on Move-in day. Please refer to your move-in packet for specific information on permit issue dates. You will need to show your registration and know your license plate number, make, model, and year of your vehicle. Our parking permits are FREE. Please note there is a limit, depending on your location, on how many permits will be given out. There will be more information on this provided to you in your move-in packet that you get when you pick up your keys. We do sell additional parking spaces at 31 Chittenden and 212 W. Norwich if you would like a guaranteed spot. Contact Kelly at Kelly@universitymanors.com for pricing and availability on those spots.
9. How can I get a street parking permit? The City of Columbus sells them from their office, 2700 Impound Lot Rd., Columbus, OH 43207 (614-645-6400). Off Campus Student Services (614-292-0100) will be selling them at the Ohio Union in September. For specific dates you will need to contact them. Those of you in multiple unit complexes are highly encouraged to purchase one, even if you get a UML pass. One ticket for parking on the street without a permit is $35.00, so the pass will pay for itself. *In order to purchase a parking permit they will require you to have a SIGNED copy of your lease agreement.* Every tenant was given an additional copy of their lease at the time of their lease signing. You are welcome to bring that in any time before July 31st and we will be happy to sign it. If you have lost your copy you will need to contact Kelly at the office to schedule a time to get a new one. *There is a $5 cash charge for a new lease copy if you lost the one we gave you.* Please call 24 hours in advance so we can have that ready for you. Check with your roommates to see if they need one as well, that way we can get them all ready at once. *ATTN TENANTS OF 149, 151,153,155 and 157 W. 10th* You will want to make sure you get your city permits BEFORE your move-in day! The city of Columbus is less than accommodating to students, parents and moving vans being on the street without a city permit.They WILL ticket you! If you have questions about this you will need to contact the city, their telephone number is (614) 645-6400. UML is not responsible for people receiving parking tickets or from being towed from non-UML parking lots.
10. Are there locks on the bedroom doors? Privacy locks (not keyed locks) are installed on all bedroom doors. As per your lease agreement we do not permit you to have keyed locks, for multiple reasons. HOWEVER, if you move in and find a keyed lockset on your door and there is not a key provided you may take it to Vanguard Hardware 614-267-6602 and for a nominal fee (YOU must pay) they will provide you with a key to the door. If we ever have a showing or a rooming house inspection, and after notifying you, we find that your door is locked we will drill it out at YOUR expense. You are NOT permitted to install deadbolt locks on any door at any time and any damage done to a door because of any locks you put on it will be deducted from your security deposit. Again, privacy locks are provided so that you are able to lock yourself in your room.
11. Why am I paying a full month’s rent for August when I’m moving in in the middle of the month and then own rent again on September 1st? The lease is written as one lump sum divided into twelve equal payments. The first two payments just happen to fall close together. If we prorated August, every other month would be more expensive.